OHIO STATE REFORMATORY
The Ohio State Reformatory (made famous in the film, “The Shawshank Redemption”) was opened in 1896 as a prison for criminals too old for juvenile facilities and not hardened enough for the Ohio State Penitentiary in Columbus. It saw untold thousands of prisoners during its years of operations and while once applauded as a place that could humanely reform first-time offenders, the conditions deteriorated to the point that it became known for abuse, torture and murder. Already considered overcrowded and inhumane by the 1930s, the massive prison was kept open until 1986, even after a federal lawsuit was filed by the inmates that cited that it was unfit for human occupation. Since the closing of the reformatory, stories have circulated that it is haunted by the tormented spirits of former inmates, guards and prison officials who have simply never left. Apparitions have been reported, footsteps have been heard and unsettling encounters have taken place in the cells where the inmates once lived, suffered and sometimes died. One of the resident ghosts is reported to be Helen Glattke, the wife of Warden Arthur L. Glattke. She died in 1950, in an apartment in the administration wing of the prison, when a loaded handgun fell from a closet shelf and went off. Her spirit has remained in the apartment ever since, often manifesting as the smell of perfume.