GREYSTONE PARK PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL, PARSIPPANY
Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany, New Jersey
Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital opened in 1876 when it was originally known as New Jersey Lunatic Asylum.
At the time, the imposing 675,000 square foot building was built on the largest continuous foundation in the world.
It was built with the intention of housing hundreds of patients, but eventually, it managed to pack in over 7,500 patients.
One of those patients was the famous songwriter Woody Guthrie who was admitted for treatment of Huntington’s disease in the 1950s.